When preparing for an interview, there are a few key suspects that you expect to crop up amongst the questions asked, allowing you the opportunity to plan and answer them to the best of your ability.
However, not all interviewers like to stick to a generic interview structure and according to findings in a study conducted by the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT), some employers have been looking slightly outside-of-the-box for what to ask their candidates.
As part of their research, AAT have compiled a list of the most bizarre questions that Brits have been asked in an interview situation. Some of the more ‘unusual’ choices that were guaranteed to leave the candidate in a bit of a fluster included “If you were a fruit or vegetable what would you be and why?” and “Who would win in a fight, superman or batman?”
Easy, Superman of course! Have you not seen those biceps?! But surely Batman would outsmart him? Oh this is just so complex!
Don’t lose all hope if you are left perplexed by a random question like this though, as a third of those who reported an uncomfortable experience or have not been able to answer a baffling question, have still gone on to get the job.
Aimee Bateman, AAT Official Career Coach and founder of career coaching site careercake.com, said:
The range of random and sometimes unbelievable questions or tasks candidates have been subjected to shows sometimes you just can’t predict what will be thrown at you. However, the best way to maintain composure and reduce the chances of embarrassment is to try to prepare for every possibility and be prepared to think on your feet if need be.
Here are AAT’s findings about the most downright weird questions that Brits have been asked in an interview.
The strangest things asked to Brits in an interview:
- Would you post about work on Facebook?
- Would you rather know a lot about a little or a little about a lot?
- Who would you invite to a dinner party?
- Who would win in a fight, superman or batman?
- Who is your favourite Doctor Who?
- Which video game character would I like to be and why?
- Which three celebrities would you like to join for a night out?
- Do you prefer to be right, or be liked?
- Do you wear jeans outside of work?
- What would you do if the sun died out?
- Are you a Coronation Street or EastEnders fan?
- What would you do if you caught a member of staff kissing the boss?
- What dinosaur would you like to be?
- Was the book Frankenstein really about state control?
- Please do an improvisation of a film (with potential co-worker)
- Build a tower of paper cups in 1 minute that would not fall down when you put water in the top cup
- Tell me 20 unique selling points about this BIC pen
- Please bring a toy with you and explain how this reflects you as a person or a part of your personality
- Is a Jaffa cake a cake or biscuit?
- How do you feel about blood sports?
- If a Hippo falls into a hole how would you get it out?
- Do you like to sing in the bath?
- Would you drive through an amber traffic light?
Have you been asked something that will rival the most bizarre interview questions? We’d love to know!