Recruiting

Passive candidates could be the answer for your most challenging recruitment activities. Passive candidates are those who are not actively looking for a job – but have the suitable qualifications and experience, and may be interested in discussing opportunities if the right one comes along. It is often thought that the most skilled workers are happy with their job – so to target the passive candidates would mean that you’re tapping into the best potential employees. We’ve taken a look through this infographic by Armstrong Appointments for our top tips for hiring passive candidates.

The global workforce:

Did you know that only 15% of the global workforce are satisfied at their current job? This leaves a whopping 85% of the workforce as potential new employees, with only 12% of them actively looking out for new jobs and opportunities.

  • Only 15% of employees are satisfied with their current jobs
  • 12% are actively searching for a job
  • 13% are casually looking for better opportunities
  • 15% are thinking about changing jobs

Why passive candidates?

They’re potential long-term, top quality candidates – If you’re hiring a passive candidate, it obviously shows that they are willing to remain in a job long-term. This means you’re probably hiring someone that’s going to potentially stay with your company long term.

They’re the best when it comes to qualifying for a specific skill set – They’ve been doing a great job at their current role, which means they have the skill set you’re looking for.

Less competition as they won’t be interviewing anywhere else. A typical passive candidate will not be taking part in interviews anywhere else, so you don’t have to be worried they’ll be taking another job.

They’re unlikely to ‘stretch the truth’ on their CVs. If they’re coming from a similar role, you can count on the fact they haven’t lied on their CV,

They are valuable assets at their current employers.

Benefits for candidates:

So why would a candidate ever change jobs? If they’re content and satisfied with their current position then why on earth would they go elsewhere?

One of the main reason is so that they can achieve a better work/life balance – which is a top priority for many employees. Another reason is for the benefits and pay that a new job can bring. But its not all about money – passive candidates also move for more challenging work. There’s nothing worse than being bored at work because you’re not being challenged enough.

Best ways to attract passive candidates:

  • Through an internal reference
  • Blogging, publishing articles and social media
  • Refer a friend
  • Totally off the grid

Have you had experience in the past with passive candidates? We’d love to hear your experiences, so tweet us @UndercoverRec.

RELATED: Passive Talent: Not as Passive as You Think

Passive-Candidates (1)

[Top image credit: Shutterstock]


About Ruby Lowe

Ruby is a Senior Account Executive at Link Humans in London.

Get recruiting and career tips direct to your inbox once a week with more like this!

Load Comments