Every individual has their own qualities and can bring different things to a company, so it’s important to have an element of diversity among your staff.
This can be in terms of personality, skills and allowing equal opportunities to everyone who applies. A large number of people are effected by health problems, some of whom would consider themselves disabled. It’s important that these individuals are offered the opportunity to progress in their careers and they could bring many benefits to your business.
Here are a few of them courtesy of Burning Nights.
A few starts on disabilities
- Roughly 15% of the world’s population have some form of disability.
- The rate of disabilities is on the rise, due to people generally living for longer these days.
- In Asia it is estimated that 238 million people working age have a disability and the unemployment rate is as high as 80% amongst them.
- Over 60% of people with a disability in America said they would like to work, but can’t find a job.
What adjustments can be made to cater for disabilities in the workplace?
- Changes could be made to a disabled person’s work patterns/location.
- Alterations can be made to the work premises to assist the individual.
- Ensure that information is provided in accessible formats.
- Support job applications from those with a disability.
The benefits of hiring somebody with a disability
- It provides social opportunities and an income for people with a disability.
- Diversity in the workplace can help to create better solutions to business challenges.
- Studies in the US have found that there is a better retention rate and level of absenteeism among employees with a disability.
- Findings in the UK have observed increased employee satisfaction and better productivity among staff.
Read more below.
[Image Credit: Shutterstock]