If you have just graduated university or finished college, then it is time to enter the real world of work. Even if you are still in education but searching for jobs, you need to be prepared for the change that is ahead.
This includes tailoring your resume, preparing for interviews and knowing the skill set that you posses. The world of work is a serious one and you need to be able to transform yourself and your perception of how things work, in order to fit into a new environment.
This infographic by ACU explains how to prepare for the jump from student to working professional and what to expect along the way.
- As of May 2014, the unemployment rate for 18-29 year olds is 9.1%
- 15% of millennials are already managers
- 100% of employers perceive that college prepares students for the workplace
- Begin as soon as possible
- Tap into your resources
- Tailor your resume
- Tailor your cover letters
- Networking – develop genuine connections and offer something in return
- Utilise social media – 35% of employers use social media to conduct background checks
- 93% of recruiters use LinkedIn
- Prepare well for your interview and use your soft skills, 98% of employers say communication skills are vital
Developing ongoing professionalism
- Moderate your social life
- Develop and maintain genuine connections
- Never stop learning
RELATED: Students: How to Create a Resume and Find Your Perfect College Job