Would you identify yourself as being an introvert or an extrovert? You can find people who fall under each of these categories in most workplaces and particular traits displayed by each personality type mean that they tend to work in different ways.
For example, some of us strive when working with others, whereas others perform better when they work on their own. For this reason, certain jobs are better suited to introverts and extroverts. Apparently 60% of the population consider themselves extroverts, however it isn’t always black and white and a lot of us display a combination introvert and extrovert characteristics.
What are the common traits of introverts and extroverts?
- Learn through observation
- Like to spend time on their own
- Comfortable in groups
- Up for trying new things
- Speaks their thoughts
- Energised by others and has a big group of friends and acquaintances.
How do introverts and extroverts behave in the office/classroom?
- Extroverts enjoy getting involved in verbal discussion and are quick to share their thoughts and opinions with others; whereas introverts prefer a quiet workplace and will take more time to gather and examine information before making decisions.
- Extroverts like to brainstorm in big groups, to hear others peoples ideas and share their own. In contrast, introverts are more likely to work alone on independent projects.
- Extroverts will often initiate group activities/gatherings and enjoy conversations about personal matters, whereas introverts would much rather keep their life outside of work private and only get involved in work-related discussion.
What are the best jobs for introverts and extroverts?
Careers that involve interaction with the general public and working as a part of a team are typically better suited to extrovert personalities. A few examples are:
- Construction Worker
- Event Planner
- Police Officer
Jobs that allow the individual to work independently are a better fit for introverts, who are more studious and prefer to work alone. A few examples are:
- Graphic Designer
- Software Developer
- Truck Driver