Serving society and turning a profit aren’t mutually exclusive. As this professor of finance uncovered, focusing on purpose helps companies succeed.
Alex Edmans is Professor of Finance at London Business School and the author of Grow the Pie: How Great Companies Deliver Both Purpose and Profit.
Have a listen to the episode below, keep reading for a summary and be sure to subscribe to the Employer Branding Podcast.
Listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher or Soundcloud.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- How creating value for stakeholders isn’t just a worthy ideal – it’s good business sense
- Why a company’s purpose cannot be to earn profits – instead, profits are a by-product of serving a purpose
- The concept of “the pie” and how a company goes about growing this
- What the ROI of a purpose-driven approach can be
- How businesses helped dig us out of previous crises, and what that means for the current Coronavirus situation
- Alex Edmans online: alexedmans.com/
- Grow the Pie: www.growthepie.net/