The co-founder of LinkedIn, Reid Hoffman recently published his new book “The Start-Up of You“.
One idea is what they call “I-We” – how the power of your network out to the third degree magnifies your individual capabilities. It used to be “who you know”, now it’s also “who the people in your network know”. That’s the strength of “I to the We” of your network.
LinkedIn have kindly sampled some data for us:
- The average LinkedIn member has access to over 9,000 people via their 2nd degree network
- That’s connections in over 6,000 companies in 130 industries via 2nd degree connections
- The most connected users have access to 200,000 companies through 3 million people
- As your professional network grows, so do your career opportunities
- 20% of members advancing their careers to organizations where they had a previous contact
- Job seekers who grow their networks are 30% more likely to find jobs than other job seekers whose networks remained static