A strong company culture could make it easier to hire and retain great members of staff for your organisation. But the big question is really; How exactly do you boost company culture? Some say you can’t do it, it has to happen organically, others would argue there are steps you can take as a leader to encourage a strong company culture.
Our friends at CultureIQ have come up with 6 ways to strengthen company culture:
- Define what is important to your organisation. The connection between an employee’s work and organisational strategy is a top driver for employee employment. Look at your company’s mission statement, core values and strategic goals.
- Measure and understand your culture. 70% of American employees are not engaged at work, to understand what your people are thinking consider establishing baseline metrics to track over time. Send surveys to identify strengths and pain points, provide channels for anonymous feedback.
- Establish direction. Assess and prioritise pain points, send follow-up surveys if needed. Brainstorm and research culture initiatives, always look for specific processes to improve.
- Communication direction. Companies with effective change and communication are 3.5 times as likely to significantly outperform their peers. Try holding informative town hall meetings (think Google’s TGIF), start a newsletter or internal blog (or why not Facebook at Work).
- Implement change. Managers are crucial catalysts for successful change; create a culture committee, maintain a calendar of culture efforts, provide induction and ongoing training. Finally, empower your managers to become change agents.
- Refine and iterate. Culture is dynamic and thus you have to mange your culture on an ongoing basis; do regular surveys, analyse metrics to understand change over time and experiment with new culture initiatives.