With so many people applying for the same job these days, you really have to stand out from the crowd to have a chance of getting that dream job. Understanding how to shine above your competition is essential to getting the job. Having a good resume, cover letter and portfolio, as well as presenting yourself professionally and doing some research on the job offer and company can help incredibly in getting you the job. So, let’s have a look at a number of ways you can achieve this: [Read more...]
You see the perfect job, know you can do it, apply and anxiously await feedback. In the back of your mind you are thinking what do we look for? I thought I would take some time to guide you through what a successful CV looks like from an internal recruitment perspective and give you tips and hints for success when applying directly.
Your CV is one part of the recruitment process that is entirely in your control. Get it right and you significantly increase your chances of being selected for interview. Get it wrong and you run the risk of your application being overlooked. [Read more...]
This infographic (from the National Careers Service) shows the history of the CV.
- 1482 – Leonardo de Vinci creates the first professional CV.
- 1950s – CVs become formalised and start to be expected during job interviews.
- 1984 – The first guide to writing CVs is published.
- 2003 – LinkedIn launches, giving a new way for CVs to be presented.
- 2007 – YouTube and other video sites open the door for video CVs to become possible (and sometimes essential).